Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kicsi Beszelek Magyarul

In other words, I speak a little (very very very very little) Hungarian. But, very, very, very, very little is better than none! We have learned question words and can form some basic questions and sentences. I am sure they are not always grammatically correct, but we are making progress. I had 2 successes today! This morning I was at an unfamiliar metro (subway) station and couldn't find the right one. I went up to a security guy and said, "Hol van a harmas metro?" (Where is metro number 3?) He may have smirked, but he didn't laugh. He answered me, albeit in Hungarian, which I couldn't really understand. That is the next problem! But, he pointed in a general direction and I found it. This afternoon I needed to tell Chelsea's bus driver that she won't ride again until Wednesday. He didn't understand. I had to dig deep, because I don't know the days of the week very well yet, but I gave it a go - "Hetfo, Kedd, Szerda. Busz Szerda." Success again! It feels good to be able to communicate a little bit!!

Chelsea won't ride the bus until Wednesday because we are trading Hungarian for Italian and heading to Milan tomorrow! Why Milan? It had the cheapest airfare, so why not? It is our first trip to only use public transportation - no rent car. I am planning to pack in only 2 small suitcases for all 4 of us for 4 days.....can we do it? Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment