Tuesday, October 2, 2012

International Day

Chelsea and Cade attend an international school, and every year the school has an International Day. It is a fun day where kids wear clothing that represent stheir home country. Parents bring food for an international lunch, and the day ends with a parade with each child marching behind their flag. It is always moving to see so many countries (at least 20 - I have no idea the true count) represented!

My kids were torn because, you know, Texas is like a whole other country. But, there was no Texas flag in the parade, so they marched with the good ole USA. They did represent Texas with their boots and Cade of course wore his "Don't Mess WIth Texas" t-shirt. 

My observations this year - 
*Many of the other countries have some sort of fancy national dress/attire. The American kids have Old Navy July 4th t-shirts. 
*For the lunch, most countries bring sophisticated food like sushi, fancy desserts, crepes, etc. The American kids bring jello, rice krispie treats, and mac and cheese. I will say those items are the first to go, though. We may not be sophisticated, but our stuff tastes good!


2 comments:

  1. HA!! The observations are priceless and TRUE! Very proud that the Stanteens represented Texas-America. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My name is Susan Varotti and I found your blog while searching for blogs by Americans living in Hungary. We, myself, my husband and our 3 children are moving to Budapest in December. Not for work, not for military....just because we want to!! Can you even imagine that?? I am American, my husband Marcus is Brazilian, but he and our 3 children are also Hungarian via his grandmother who was Hungarian. Our children have been accepted at the Int'l Christian School of Budapest in Diosd and we are excited for them to attend there. I would love to ask you some questions, but I don't want to take up space on your blog. If you feel so inclined, you can email me at svarotti@gmail.com and we can chat further. Thanks for letting this stranger invade. I loved reading your blog! God bless, Susan

    ReplyDelete