Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Journey Home

Everyone asks us how we do this trip with all the kids, luggage, etc. The actual journey is certainly not our favorite thing to do, but I will say we have it down to a pretty good system. This Christmas, we put the system to the test. We ended up with 15 checked bags/boxes and probably about 7 carry ons. Out of control!!!  Because Larry has so many frequent flier miles, we are allowed 3 bags each, hence the 15 bags.  But, there is no need for so much stuff....my mantra since moving here has been to simplify and downsize the amount of stuff we have. I certainly blew it this time! Oh well. 

Our master plan is this - Larry packs all the bags. He is a master packer. This time, we included some boxes and that worked well. He and my dad put everything in the garage, sorted it, and somehow got it all in. We load my parents' SUV with all the luggage, and then we take 2 cars to the airport. We return the rent car and then they meet us at the drop-off zone with all the luggage. We find a porter or carts, and viola...15 bags transported without too much effort. 
Once on board, thankfully it is an overnight flight and the little people crash. This is how we spent our New Year's Eve this year...pretty exciting! Chelsea had her first meltdown this flight - we didn't have any extra seats, and she cried and cried about how she could only sleep if her legs were straight. Thankfully, she finslly slept. I, not so much. 

We had a 5 hour layover in Frankfurt this time around. We were blessed that our friends, the McLendon's, were on our same flights! Frankfurt has a fun play area, and having someone else to play with made all the difference. Happy kids=happy layover. 

Boarding our last flight...the short trip from Frankfurt to Budapest is the easy part of the journey. Almost there! Once in Budapest, we found a porter for the luggage and had a van pick us up, so the 15 bags were not too difficult.  Now, 2 weeks later, we are finally unpacked and settled. Cade walks around the house and says,"I so happy to be home. I like my home."








2 comments:

  1. Having y'all on the flights & layover, especially the layover, made all the difference! We should synchronize all further flights. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally laughing!! You guys are the best!!! I remember people telling me how traveling days would be over with ONE kiddo. Wow...you guys prove them wrong!!!! LOL. I love it...you're totally my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete