Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Technology and Suitcases

One of the harder things so far is figuring out what we will need (buy, move, etc.) and what we won't (sell, store, etc). We decided our suitcases we have are not in good enough shape for repeated international trips so we've been on the lookout. I was seriously considering Briggs & Riley -- the only brand I know of that has a lifetime warranty, no matter what the cause (including airline abuse). In the end, I couldn't pass up the deal at Sam's Club. 4 suitcases for $150. So we bought 12! They're Samsonite and have a 10 year warranty so we figured we could throw them away if they didn't last for some reason not covered under warranty.

More exciting, however (at least to a computer guy) is all the technology I get to purchase. I've bought a GPS (TomTom with lifetime maps and traffic updates -- including Europe and North America), SlingBox (to watch US television when we can't stand trying to translate the Hungarian stations), and ordered our VOIP telephone so we can stay in touch with everyone (BroadVoice is the provider we selected).

One of the most valuable things we have found so far is talking with others that have been through similar circumstances. So part of this blog will contain things you may care about, and part of this blog will contain things that others who may be moving internationally in the future may care about.

Slingbox has been an interesting experience. I found a really good deal on it, but now that I received it, I think I know why. It appears used. How do I know? Well, the photocopied manual was a giveaway. The box already being named when I look at it on the computer is another. I suspect the Baker family owned it before us. Who cares though? It appears to be working and I got a great deal!

Now back to focusing on getting a work permit and seeing family before we can leave! We've seen both kids' birth family recently, went to Austin to see Carey's siblings, heading to Harlingen to see my parents and brother this weekend, off to Mississippi to see my other brother over Labor Day. Looking forward to a fast and furious next 6 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. We will enjoy the blog great way to keep up with the adventure..love ya

    ReplyDelete