Friday, September 9, 2011

What's it Worth?

We have been here almost a year now, so for the most part we have adapted to products we can get locally and we have learned to do without our beloved American staples of cereal, boxed mixes, etc. We do a have a few international stores that import American products.  They are pretty pricey, so we have do decide how bad we want something before we give in.

Last week was my birthday and though there are fabulous desserts in Budapest, I really just wanted a good ole American Betty Crocker cake and frosting from the jar. I brought some cake mixes back from the US this summer, but no frosting. I took a trip to Snack Box, the closest international store, and they had just the frosting I wanted. In the US, it would probably cost a dollar.  Here?  Seven dollars. But totally worth it!

Other delicacies?
Marshmallows - $5
Corn Tortillas - $5
Haagen Daz - $12/pint (we made that mistake once!)
Brownie mix - $10
Lucky Charms - $17!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carey,
    I watched your "Househunters International" episode and found your blog and I have enjoyed reading it! Sounds like I need to stock up on Lucky Charms! My husband and I and our two boys will be moving from the U.S. to Budapest sometime before January. I would like to have the opportunity to ask you a few questions about living in Budapest. My e-mail address is chrisandjp@roadrunner.com Thanks!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thrilled to find Pam Cooking Spray in Kenya earlier this week - until I looked at the price - $10. I couldn't stand to buy it! But I do pay $10 for Skippy Peanut Butter on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your birthday, you totally deserved that icing. =) I still cringe over buying those Lucky Charms. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete