Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Good Samaritan Gone Bad

Winter finally arrived in Budapest today, and we welcomed the sight of falling snow. By mid-morning, the streets were covered in white. Logan and I headed out to pick up Meryl and Patrick for our baby gym class. On my way to Meryl's, I was affirming my great snow driving skills and thinking how I used to be afraid to drive on snow packed streets, but now I just cruise along. Go me.

About that time, I had to turn left and onto a steep hill. I headed up and there was an old woman slowly climbing the hill about halfway up. I felt sorry for her, so I stopped and asked her if she wanted a ride. She didn't understand, but with enough gestures she figured it out. She pointed to a nearby house and told me köszönöm sepen, and she continued on her way.

 I continued up the hill, except I didn't. I quickly began sliding backwards. Yikes! I pulled the parking brake, put the car in park, everything I could think to do to stop. And it stopped. Then I tried to go up again. Fail again. After a few tries and fails, I decided I would be leaving the car where it was. I steered backwards to the curb, called Meryl, and abandoned the car. Logan and I hiked up the hill to Meryl's car, where Meryl informed me that the number one rule of snow driving is never stop in the middle of a hill. Oops.  Lesson learned - no more good samaritan for me!!

1 comment:

  1. No good deed goes unpunished! But we made it to rolling polli! Go us. ;).

    ReplyDelete