Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Prescription for Light

We have been stuck in the gray days of January...not my favorite time of the year in Budapest. Everyone jokes about having Seasonal Affective Disorder and we all take vitamin D. When the sun is out, we soak it up like a drug. Thankfully, we have had 2 days of sunshine this week - hopefully more to come!

Today, I got a call from school that Chelsea had fever. I picked her up and she was complaining about her throat. She had strep a few weeks ago, so I did a Dr. Mom and looked at her throat with a flashlight. It was super red and had some pus spots. I called our doctors office, and they couldn't get her in for another 24 hours - that has never happened before! So, I decided to call the other expat clinic and see if I could get her in there. I didn't want to wait in case it was strep. They said they could see her in 30 minutes, so we jumped in the car and went.

The doctor was nice enough, but pretty Hungarian. This means many things- one, it was a bit hard to understand her, and two, I got chastised that Chelsea didn't have socks on with her shoes. Socks will help her fever, you know. She did her exam and said it wasn't strep yet, probably just a virus. She told Chelsea she could stay home for 2 more days and watch TV and eat ice cream. Chelsea liked that!
She proceeded to type up the note and we left.

Upon leaving, I looked down at the note and had to chuckle.
2 things written under the "prescription" section were:
1. use the vacuum cleaner to suction her nose as needed
2. Infrared light in the evening....
What?!?  I have no idea what that is about, but it is the first time we have had a prescription for light!

2 comments:

  1. I'm laughing so hard. Of course it's your fault she's sick.... Her ankles are exposed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised she didn't write "socks"on your prescription list!! Get well soon,Chelsea!!

    ReplyDelete