Saturday, January 15, 2011

Laundry Woes

When we moved into our house, I was very excited about the laundry room. It has a washing machine AND a dryer, a true luxury in Europe. The counter space is great and it even has some drawers for storage.

Fast forward a few weeks. I quickly learned my dryer wasn't much of a dryer. After all, a dryer is supposed to dry things. Hmmm. After loads were in there for 3 hours and still not dry, I realized I had a problem. Instead of the dryer, I resorted to this.......

It worked okay, but stiff clothes aren't very comfortable. I procrastinated on doing laundry and just let it pile up.....and pile up. Laundry was taking over the upstairs. True confessions: I hadn't washed towels at all. Thankfully, we have a lot of towels! And clothes.
Wednesday I came home from running errands to a great surprise......a new dryer! Yay for our landlord!
It is nice and shiny and new and actually dries clothes! Very exciting! It does take awhile, and it collects the water and the water must be dumped after every load or two. It is strangely satisfying to see how much water comes out of the clothes.
With new dryer ready to go, I decided to tackle the laundry monster. I piled all the dirty towels up and headed downstairs. My washing machine is European, meaning small. Very small. How small you ask? The picture below is a load of towels that I finally washed. How many towels equal a full washing machine?


Two! It will hold two towels.

Needless to say, laundry will be a full time job!

2 comments:

  1. Oh My goodness what fun, hahaha I forgot my mum also just gets a few things in the dryer. She hangs out all the washing and then puts in the dryer.Love the lake iced over..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh when I read this. When it comes to pathetically small dryers that have to be drained every day... misery loves company!! What I wouldn't give to bring a big ole Whirlpool dryer back to Hungary & vent it to the outside. =)

    ReplyDelete