Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Do you want feathers with that?

We are making progress in our language lessons. S-L-O-W progress, but progress nonetheless. We have learned words for basic fruits, vegetables, drinks, etc. We have learned to say, "I don't understand." and "I don't speak Hungarian." Very important words in my world! My mouth still can't pronounce certain sounds correctly, especially the letter -gy that seems to appear in almost all words, but I am trying.

We thought we had mastered the word for chicken. Several times, most recently this weekend, we have tried to order a chicken sandwich. We get one of two responses - ignored or laughed at. Last night we had a Hungarian lesson and we asked the teacher to correct our pronunciation of chicken, thinking that was the problem. Larry said the word and she laughed.

What you are asking for, she said, is a whole, live chicken on a sandwich.

Oh. That explains a lot!

1 comment:

  1. SO funny!! Sounds like something I would do. Y'all are way more advanced than us, though. Although, I have mastered "Ez egy doboz." It means "This is a box." That should really come in handy. =)

    ReplyDelete