Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Market and the Movies

I recently found out about a large market close to our house, so last week Cade and I ventured out to find it. Feny Utca market is a 3 story, open air market that is one stop shopping for fruits, vegetables, meat, bread...I even saw a pet store type booth! It was really cold - I didn't realize it was an open air market until we got there. We didn't stay too long but I stocked up on some yummy fruit. All of the fruit and veggies looked wonderful. We observed the system for a few minutes and determined that at the market, you tell the vendor how many you want of each item and they select the fruit for you. I used sign language - lots of pointing and holding up fingers! I was excited to see these guys -

Normally, you can only find fruit that is in season. Strawberries are slowly starting to appear, so I couldn't pass them up! I did learn a lesson, however. Most fruit is here is priced in kilograms, but the strawberries were priced by the dekagram. I wasn't really paying attention and just told the guy I wanted one carton. That carton above ended up costing about 7 dollars. Oops! Still, it was better than the organic ones I saw this week - about 10 strawberries for 20 dollars!!

The clementines are Chelsea's favorites - I got about 10 for a dollar. She ate 6 the first afternoon!I wasn't brave enough to try the butcher there, but we will go back and practice our Hungarian when it is a little warmer!

Saturday night, Larry and I went out to our first movie in Budapest! We had a great time. Movies here come in 2 main formats - original (English) and dubbed (Hungarian). It was great to see a movie in English!! The movie theaters are very similar to those in the US. The main difference is that when you buy your ticket, you pick your seats and sit in assigned seats. Overall, movies here seem to be a little cheaper. For two tickets, it cost the equivalent of about $15. For a medium popcorn and two drinks, it was only about $8.

We are currently trying to plan a short vacation for March. It is overwhelming with so many great options to choose from! Stay tuned to see what we decide....

1 comment:

  1. I will have to check this one out! I could definitely go for some strawberries - I haven't seen any! Glad y'all enjoyed the movies! So nice to hear some English. =)

    ReplyDelete