Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sipark!


For the last 10 years or so, Larry has been dying to go skiing. Every year we talk about it, and then every year I manage to convince him why we shouldn't go. He loves to ski. I, on the other hand, would put it towards the bottom of my desired vacation list. Moving to Europe made skiing a lot more accessible and less avoidable, so I am beginning to embrace the idea. Hungary doesn't have very many official ski areas, but we heard about a place in the Matra mountains about an hour and a half east of Budapest. We decided to head out there and let Chelsea try skiing before we plan an official ski vacation.

It was a nice, leisurely drive for a while. We began heading up a mountain and programmed the town name into the GPS. I assumed there would be signs to the ski resort once we got to the town. I should never assume anything here! The GPS took us to a snow covered mountain road in the middle of no where. Larry tried to turn around and we were stuck in the snow. Fabulous. To the right of me is a huge drop off and in front of us is a snow covered hill heading down. Even Chelsea said, "I'm worried." Thankfully, Larry got us out of it. We drove around a little while before we finally found the ski area.

Larry went off and got the equipment for he and Chelsea. She looked so cute with her little skis!
Cade and I watched these guys for awhile -
They had dog sled rides at the resort. It looked like lots of fun! We will have to do it one day.
I am sure these dogs are well fed, loved, and cared for. Or maybe not.

Larry and Chelsea started practicing. She quickly found out that skiing is hard and you fall a lot. Falling a lot means crying a lot. Crying a lot means it isn't that fun.

Cade and I headed to the car to warm up after a little while. Thankfully, we had a great spot where we could watch the action. That is Chelsea to the right of the fence post being pulled by Larry.

Cade drove the car and played with the keys. He was a happy camper!


By the end of an hour, she could glide the distance above. We called that success for day one.

We packed up and headed back towards home. Everyone was hungry, so we stopped in a small village at a roadside type stand to get some food. They advertised hamburgers, a rare find here. It sounded really good.

I really should know better than to order a burger here.

From the outside, it looked good. I decided to peek at the meat before taking a bite.

Disgusting!!!! I have no idea what it was made out of, but I was not going to find out.
Out the window went the hamburger. Lesson learned!


2 comments:

  1. Looks like y'all had fun!! Good job, Chelsea for getting up on skis. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Semmering Austria is just a few hours away. You could even do a day trip. They have a great toboggan (sled) run. The younger two went to ski school for half a day and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete