Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Strange Things

To commemorate the anniversary of our first 6 months in Budapest, here are some of the strangest things that have happened to us...

*People peeing......it seems we have quite the knack for stumbling upon grown men urinating wherever they want to. One day we pulled up to the ATM and surprised someone. Another day it was on the corner by the grocery store. It never ceases to make us laugh and wonder why they can't walk 10 feet to the bushes.

*People making out....This happens everywhere, all the time. There is no shame and apparently no need for privacy.

*Free drink....one day, I was at IKEA and the kids and I got a drink in the cafe before we left. As we were about to leave, a young, nicely dressed girl came up to me. She started in Hungarian, but switched to English when it was obvious I didn't understand her. She asked if I was finished with my cup. I said yes and gave it to her, a little baffled. She walked over to the fountain drinks, refilled it, and went on her way. How gross is that??

*Dead people...not something we ever desire to see, but again it seems to happen too often. Once on the highway, once on a sidewalk, and once Larry witnessed it at a subway stop. The sad thing is many people walk right by. Very strange.

*Bike wreck...this is one of the scariest things that has happened. A couple of weeks ago, we were cruising at a fairly high rate of speed down a hill. There were 3 bikers following way too closely, without helmets of course. We had to turn left, so Larry put on the blinker and slowed to a stop. One of the bikers got impatient and decided to try to go around us on the left as we turned left. We heard a giant thud as he hit our car on the drivers side. It was quite scary and I seriously thought he would be dead. As Larry opened the door, the guy popped up and said, "bocsi." (Excuse me). We were so thankful he was okay, but it was so funny/strange to hear him say that!

I'm sure there are many more strange things to come!!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to Europe.While traveling in Poland, we rounded the corner and found an entire bus load of seniors using the hill as a potty stop. Quite an eye opener.
    As the weather gets warmer do watch for bikes, motorcycles and pedestrian. Generally you are always at fault, even if you think they are not obeying the traffic laws.
    Spring is a great time in Budapest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, the Free Drink one TOTALLY made me laugh. That is crazy! Actually, all of them made me laugh! I enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I did not know about the dead people thing. That's sad. The public urination thing we experience too much. When I see it happen, I usually make a really loud "ick!" sound to make the urinator aware that what they are doing is SO wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY WORD!!! I laughed, I cried, I was weirded out! This post was SO amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete