Friday, May 27, 2011

House Hunters International Budapest

Time to provide some thoughts back on the show.
  • It was a lot of fun to do, surprisingly.  This was Carey's deal and neither of us really thought it would happen, but they kept emailing back and forth and finally we signed up.  We're glad we did.
  • We're told they film about 100 minutes for every 1 minute that makes it on the show.  So for the 21 minute show, they likely filmed 2100 minutes (35 hours)!  That feels about right as we filmed 1.5 days in Houston and 4 days in Budapest.
  • We did not get to see it before it aired.  If so, we might have asked that they change a few things, which is probably why they don't let us see it before it airs!
  • The rock star house had carpet from Michael Jackson's villa in the master bedroom. We're surprised they didn't mention that on the show!  The owner of that house was present during filming. Larry asked him to play the drums for us and he said he only plays for money. They played pool together instead.
  • We are very excited to have a DVD documenting our adventures.  Cade especially will not remember much of his time in Budapest, but we can prove he was here! 
  • We are extremely thankful that they kept adoption as part of the story.  We love our agency, New Life, and highly recommend them to others!  Their education is the reason why we believe in open adoption!
  • We also love our families and apologize greatly that they did not make the final cut.  You would have been there if we were editing it!
  • Our Texas-sized needs have changed.  While we've got the home, we'll certainly enjoy it, but it's been refreshing to see how "needs" are so different here.  
  • It's really scary how many people watch this show!
  • We are serious about having guests... if the guest room is open and we know you or you come recommended from someone we know, you're welcome to it!

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! We forgot to record it. =( If y'all videotaped it, I would love to come over and watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me, I came across your blog while doing a search for HHI/Budapest, because a friend told me about the episode. My family is moving to Budapest next July. My husband also has a job transfer and will be working at the embassy.
    I normally wouldn't ever comment on a stranger's blog but for some reason I feel compelled, an American that can shed some light on a fairly intimidating process of moving a family of 5 overseas. Yes please! :)
    I would love to hear from you any tips and advice. chshirl@aol.com
    Thanks Heather Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,

      I also am moving to Budapest in June with my family of 4. Would love to visit with you.. My husband has a job transfer also and is working for Exxon.. My girls will be going to the international school of budapest.. I would love to talk with you about it all!!!
      Please email me at nikki.smith@live.com

      Delete
  3. My family is also moving to Budapest in June. My husband works for Exxon and will be transferring over there for a few years. We live in DFW area and would love any info on moving a family of 4 overseas!!!!

    Would love to chat with you and get your input!!!!

    Nikki Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Guys,
    I would love to watch that episode, but I cannot find it anywhere online. Could you upload it or send me the file????
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete