Saturday, June 25, 2011

As Iron Sharpens Iron...

There's a verse in the Bible that says, "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another".  I am so thankful for friends that go out of their way just to stop in and reconnect.  Matt is a friend of mine from my home town.  He is a year or two younger than me, but we still did a few things together growing up.  After House Hunters aired, he contacted me and let me know he and his family would be in Europe and they might take the opportunity to come to Budapest if we could work it out.  As mentioned on the show, mi casa es su casa.  We're glad to host guests so we extended the invitation.

It did work out.  I had never met his wife or 2 kids, but we had a great time over the weekend.  I was so thankful for the company as Carey and our kids are in Houston catching up with family and friends.  Even more than good company though, they were an encouragement to me.  The very first morning they were here, Matt and I were up before the others.  We just sat at the table enjoying a cup of coffee and talking through things.  The amazing thing about Christians is that we can quickly reconnect by simply talking about things that are important to both of us -- namely God and Jesus.  Those conversations set the stage for the rest of the weekend, which I also enjoyed.

We didn't do anything fancy as his kids are still young and needed naps.  But we did go to the castle district, church, and also to visit the Jewish Quarter here in Budapest.  Of course, no trip to Budapest is complete without a kurstokalacs (amazing bread cylinder with cinnamon and sugar on it) and a few scoops of ice cream at our favorite cukraszda, Daubner.  

I am so glad they came to visit.  My only regret is that my family was not here to enjoy them also.

Matt, Eva, Adam and Samuel -- thanks for visiting me!

No comments:

Post a Comment