Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Arriba!

What a day! Today we started off looking at the American school, then grabbed lunch at a local bakery and began our housing search. We focused our search today in an area between the American school and my office. Coincidentally, one of the houses was also near the French school that evidently Angelina Jolie is sending her kids to as of this past Monday. Perhaps Chelsea needs to learn French and Angelina would like to join a play group with Carey? Oui Oui!

After exhausting the children, I went to the office for a bit to meet some of the team and pick up a local mobile phone. I also had the opportunity to wait at the bank for about an hour for the privilege of opening up a new account. Unfortunately, their air conditioner was broken and I was in a very toasty sweater since it was cold this morning. It reminded me that I need to dress in layers when going to the office as the Hungarian belief is that if a male catches a cold, he will become sterile. I'm not overly concerned with that and actually rather enjoy feeling the cool air while inside. At times, I wonder if my wife has that belief also as we enjoy dual climate control in the car. For example, yesterday, I had my side of the car on 16 C (60 F) and she had her side on 25 C (77 F).

I tackled the subway on the way home thanks to help from my teammates and a little help from the GPS on my Blackberry. Feeling confident, we all headed out to dinner via the subway. Granted it was only one stop that we needed to go, but I thought it would be a good experience for Carey to see the conditions she'll have toting the kids around solo. She's off to her first play group tomorrow. Carey, the social butterfly.

We were told many expats enjoy the food at a local taqueria. Yes, they have taquerias in Hungary. We found "Arriba!" and enjoyed some burritos and quesadillas. Carey enjoyed her burrito salad a lot. I had the burrito and thought it was reasonably good being that we weren't anywhere near Texas or Mexico. That being said, if you ever have the opportunity to come to Hungary, I recommend you pass on the tortillas.

Szia

3 comments:

  1. Guess what, those tortillas get better with time...about the 3rd or 4th time you eat them, they are the best thing ever. You just have to recalibrate each time after coming home and going back. You also need to try Iquana's; it is a Mexican restaurant near the US Embassy and Szabadsag Ter. It too gets better the more you visit it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recalibrate each time ....love it Bret...we always say here to have low expectations and you might be pleasantly surprised...but I like the verb choice of recalibrate....I think that should be the motto for everything not just food....

    ReplyDelete